Hey again guys,
Can you believe we’re already half-way through the first month of 2016!? Geesh where does the time go.
So getting back to one of my original features of the blog, I thought it would be a good time for a Weekly Rewind to catch up on all the happenings of the past week and some.
So, here we go.
I haven’t been to busy on the ‘gram lately as my life has not been all that crazy with my least favorite season in full swing.
As promised I have made a conscious effort to be more active on the blog and to work on building this experience into one worthwhile.
Can you believe it has been one year since I decided to take the plunge and begin this blog!?! I celebrated this milestone with an extra special #FunFactFriday by sharing a few personal fun facts.
- An important #FunFactFriday about the importance of Blood Donation in honor of Blood Donation Awareness Month and sharing a few interesting facts for any of you who would be interested in getting involved.
- On Demand Tv is In – with streaming services killing the nominations at the Golden Globes and Critics Choice Awards. Ratings numbers are through the roof and Netflix, with a line-up of more than 20+ original shows due out this year alone, and let’s not forget Hulu and Amazon Tv doing their thing, cable may soon be obsolete. Hint, HBO has already gotten onboard with the idea of being a solely streaming service.
- Taraji P. Henson’s won big at the Golden Globes becoming the third African American Woman to win the Award for BEst Actress in a TV Drama;
- Shameless is back and well – more shameless than ever with more crazy off the wall antics and plot lines than one can even begin to imagine!
- Elle‘s Women in Television honors some of the hottest names on the small screen right now, Taraji, Viola, Priyanka, Olivia (Wilde), Julia.
- Sam Smith won the Golden Globe award for Best at the 73rd Annual award show celebration.
- For all you Music Festival fans the official Coachella Artist List is out and tickets are already on sale!
- Festival junkies rejoice as the 2016 Governor’s Ball artist list is out!
- Music Superstar David Bowie passed away this week at the age of 69 after a battle with liver cancer. May his talents and music will always live on.
- The Revenant finally took up speed at the top of the box office list last weekend beating out Star Wars: The Force Awakens which had sat at the top since it’s December 18th release. This momentum could only see improvements after Leonardo Di Caprio’s win at the Golden Globes – and now 12 Oscar nods, including Best Picture, Best Director (Alejandro González Iñárritu), Best Actor (Leonardo DiCaprio), and Best Supporting Actor (Tom Hardy), but this is an exceptional hold.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens has fallen to the third place in this weekends box office listing but this comes after 5 weeks running strong and in the wake of The Revenant‘s big wins and nods. That however has no effect on it’s earnings though as the film has hit $1 billion overseas and is aimed at grossing ~ $2 billion worldwide, so no worries!
- JLo keeps it young and fresh on the February cover of Instyle magazine and tells of some of her secrets to her continued youth, happiness and success.
- With all the controversy and debate around #BlackGirlMagic – from Elle‘s (maybe ill-advised feauture article “Here’s My Problem with #BlackGirlMagic” by Dr. Linda Chavers and Ashley Ford’s rebuttal “There is Nothing Wrong with Black Girl Magic” for the same publication), to the twitter comments and “conversations”, Essence magazine chose to emphasize the hashtag’s significance to Black culture by highlighting some of the awesome black girls who are currently being great!
p.s. don’t miss Amandla Stenberg with her #BlackGirlMagic on the cover of Teen Vogue.
- Twitter users now able to view periscope videos without leaving app. So yea for catching up on all the cute videos in the world you love to see.
- So finally those Hedi Slimane rumors can be put to rest – earlier this year the rumor mill was abuzz with news that Creative Director for the Fashion Houe, Saint laurent was leaving the company – however that has since been debunked.
- Stella Mcartney celebrated with her Pre-Fall 2016 bash where celebrities were out in their numbers, and featured live performances by Pink and even Johnny Depp, showing off his musical chops;
- There was a new twitter movement trying to convince all French individuals to wear yamakas in a show of solidarity against anti-semitism.
- Jason-3, a U.S. – European Satellite has launched from California and will measure the shape of the global sea surface to an accuracy of better than 4cm. It will also track currents, tides, winds, wave heights, and will help forecast the intensity of storms. But with a new mission of also maintaining the reference data-set on sea-level rise as a response to continued Global warming. Thus far it shows the world’s oceans to be rising at more than 3mm per year!
Around the Web
- This week, January 11th marked the recognition of Human Trafficking Awareness Day. This day served as a reminder to the world about the statistics surrounding one of the most notorious illegal trades.
- You can now fly to Europe for less than $200 using Icelandic airliner Wow Air. Created by a former Silicon Valley techie all flights connecting to several major European cities go through Iceland. You can now take that Euro trip without breaking the bank. Your options for flying out of the U.S. and Canada are still pretty limited as flights only leave from Boston, Washington, Toronto and Montreal, and now Los Angeles and San Francisco.
- Happy 52nd to First Lady Michelle Obama!
Neiman Marcus Last Call – ectra 20% off all sale prices
Express – $20 off every $80 you spend, with code :1030
Forever21 – Extra 30% off sale with code: EXTRA30
Gap – 40% off your entire purchase with code: LNGWKND
The Limited – 40% off full price items and extra 60-70% off sale
J. Crew Factory – extra 50% off clearance with code: EXTRA50
A Look Ahead
Tomorrow, January 18th marks the commemoration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s 87th birthday. The federal holiday is marked as a day of remembrance of the late religious and civil rights leader’s legacy and contributions to American History.
Hope you guys are enjoying the long weekend, and hope you have a fulfilling and productive week.
Hugs and Sunshine,